A little background info....

I have been dealing with medical issues regarding my reproduction capability for the last three and a half years after a very bad miscarriage situation. As I was working through a difficult period one day I realized that more and more people and characters around me seem to be dealing with similar circumstances. TV shows, movies, neighbors and friends are struggling because they cannot or may not have children. This is a place to express my feelings about my situation and hopefully help someone else express theirs.

I may not know what other mothers know, but I am a mother without my child and I do what I can to cope.

Friday, October 15, 2010

measurements

It has been just about six weeks since my last hospital visit where I took place in an experimental trial program to help some of my problems.  One of the biggest issues has been that when I lost the baby I was at about 4 1/2 months so my uterus had been stretched quite a bit.  Well, After I lost the baby I got an infection that they could not find and then could not kill.  So my uterus did not contract and shrink back to the size it was supposed to, about as big as a fist, it is just squished into a pile of wrinkled muscle.  The fact that it won't shrink down is part of the reason I am not healing as best as I could be so they have tried a couple different things to make it contract.
At the end of August the doctors and I agreed to join an experimental trial that is mostly took place in Tennessee, where my doctor is currently working.  I took some medication that was essentially going to put my through labor.  The idea is that the contractions would jump start my body to contract my uterus.  I spent a weekend in agony having labor pains with no hope of a child at the end of the misery.  Sounds crazy, I know.

Well today they are taking measurements of my stomach (not fun) and my uterus in order to track the progress of contraction.  It is supposedly a very slow process and unfortunately will not cause me to instantly drop several inches.  Damn!
All my biopsies came back and although nothing has changed yet, the swelling around my belly has gone down and the muscles in my uterus itself are 'active'.  Not 100% sure what that means since they stressed that nothing has changed yet.  But it sounds better than 'you're dying'  or 'this might hurt' so what the hell?  I am definitely not going to be tracking my own weight loss or inches loss because I don't do that.  I do have to say however that although I am a big girl since the miscarriage, I wasn't always and maybe this will help that situation.  (that would be a lovely side effect)

Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment