A little background info....

I have been dealing with medical issues regarding my reproduction capability for the last three and a half years after a very bad miscarriage situation. As I was working through a difficult period one day I realized that more and more people and characters around me seem to be dealing with similar circumstances. TV shows, movies, neighbors and friends are struggling because they cannot or may not have children. This is a place to express my feelings about my situation and hopefully help someone else express theirs.

I may not know what other mothers know, but I am a mother without my child and I do what I can to cope.

Monday, October 25, 2010

Checklist

Part of my process to heal and work through my loss and current medical problems is to accept that I probably cannot have children naturally, I have been working on thinking positively and focusing on finding a space where I can accept that.  I am a list person and love to make plans, lists and calendars to see what needs to be done so here goes....

 
Positive things that could happen in a childless future
  • My husband and I can travel easily and more often
  • We can decorate our house the way we want without thinking about child-proof solutions
  • We are able to be more spontaneous and get up and do something without considering a baby sitter
  • We can go to concerts, clubs, parties and other late night things we want to
  • I don't have to watch my frequent swearing at home
  • We can be the fun aunt and uncle who buy presents the parents don't always like (such as giant squirt guns and crayons for the window) to the children our brothers, cousins and friends eventually have
  • We don't have to change diapers
  • We aren't woken up in the middle of the night
  • We can sleep in
  • We can spend our time and money doing things we love that we may not have time/money for otherwise
  • We can spoil and pamper other children in our lives without guilt
  • We can play with and enjoy other people's children but ultimately their parents will have to take them home when they sugar crash
  • Maybe we can be the people other children come to when they have an issue they don't want to talk to their parents about and we can help them
  • We don't have to worry about disciplining them
  • We aren't constantly worried about bullies, college funds, bad influences, school lunches, birthday parties, manners, Internet predators, baby snatchers or kids with cell phones
  • We can be a little selfish
  • We can have date night (not that that happens now lol)
  • My husband promised me years ago that if we cannot have children I can have as many cats as I want =)

No comments:

Post a Comment