A little background info....

I have been dealing with medical issues regarding my reproduction capability for the last three and a half years after a very bad miscarriage situation. As I was working through a difficult period one day I realized that more and more people and characters around me seem to be dealing with similar circumstances. TV shows, movies, neighbors and friends are struggling because they cannot or may not have children. This is a place to express my feelings about my situation and hopefully help someone else express theirs.

I may not know what other mothers know, but I am a mother without my child and I do what I can to cope.

Friday, May 20, 2011

Support Group Searching

I have been looking all week long for some sort of support group or something similar that I can be a part of but have really found nothing that I like.  I figure I have a couple of options: a web site, facebook or in person.  I have to say that al-anon really turned me off of in person support groups.  I know that it helps a lot of people and I usually recommend them as one of the first options for someone dealing with an alcoholic in their life but I just was not a fan.  You meet in a room with people and you say several prayers and mantras that are supposed to help you then each person shares what is on their mind.  I have to say that I tried 8 groups in my area and I did not like any of them.  They were all so churchy that it made it hard to feel supported.  I seemed to get the same message over and over, 'There's nothing you can do about it, God will take care of it.'  I wasn't asking how to cure my father, I was asking how I could handle the situation better.  I just never got much out of it.  Even the ones that did not preach at me had the same thing to say, 'There's nothing you can do, it will work itself out.'  Pointless advice.  If I wanted to hear that God would take care of things isn't a church the right place to go?  If I want help dealing with my reaction to his alcoholism wouldn't you think someone would be able to help me at al-anon?  Nope, apparently not.

Sorry- got sidetracked.

Anyway, I am to busy to spend time in a group anyway and I would rather something on line where I can get help from lots of people or help lots of people in my own time. 
So far however, my search has turned up nothing that I have liked.  I haven't found any web sites that are not selling books or telling a single story, I would like to reach out to people as well.  Facebook I thought would be my best option but it seems that there just aren't very many great options on facebook regarding loss and miscarriage.  Four sites haven't been posted on for a year at least and I want to interact often.  One site had a picture of her miscarried fetus that freaked me out so much I may never sleep again-don't wanna belong to that group.  One site someone wrote in such awful short hand Internet text speak crap that I could barely understand her.  I just can't seem to find what I want.  I have come to the conclusion that I need to continue to look, reach out to anyone who may have a suggestion and possibly, start my own group.  It might be a nice start to my next six month challenge to start a group that also helps other people since my blog posts have helped me so much.  I don't know though.... I need to think about it some more.  I thought before that it might be nice to open my blog up and let guest writers share their stories but I don't know who would actually be interested in anything like that so I just haven't followed through.  I will do some more research and find some sort of answer before the month is up.  If you have any sort of suggestion please let me know, I would love to hear from you.  If you or someone you know has been through reproduction difficulty I would especially like your feedback so I can know what other people are interested in.  Thanks guys.

No comments:

Post a Comment