A little background info....

I have been dealing with medical issues regarding my reproduction capability for the last three and a half years after a very bad miscarriage situation. As I was working through a difficult period one day I realized that more and more people and characters around me seem to be dealing with similar circumstances. TV shows, movies, neighbors and friends are struggling because they cannot or may not have children. This is a place to express my feelings about my situation and hopefully help someone else express theirs.

I may not know what other mothers know, but I am a mother without my child and I do what I can to cope.

Friday, May 6, 2011

Five Minute Friday-Motherhood Should Come With

Today I'm trying something new.  I was shown this post below by my friend MH and I think it is a great attitude towards motherhood and the lack there of.
5 min fri on motherhood


I have been watching MH use this format a couple of times and I am going to try my best to do this every Friday as well.
Gypsy Mama chooses a topic every Friday and writes for five minutes.
Only five minutes.

And the rule is that whatever she writes about in that five minutes is what she posts. No editing her thoughts.
Today, her topic choice is "Motherhood should come with…"
So I'm going to set the timer, write some thoughts, and then I'm going to stop.


Motherhood should come with..... classes, an etiquette book and an instructional video.

You should have to pass some classes to become a parent, some people in the world mistreat and take advantage of their children in the worst ways.  Physical, sexual and emotional abuse runs rampant and those poor kids live their life in that situation or move into foster care or some sort of orphanage and hopefully get to find a life with a new parent.  Not all do though.

Etiquette books about what is appropriate should be handed out with pregnancy tests so you can start studying early.  People don't usually mean to but can be so rude and/or inappropriate about their children.  I think it comes from engrossing your entire life with your child, you forget other people don't think your poop story is cute or the screaming is funny.  I get it, you get lost in your kid.  Good, you should you have a great gift.  But someone should be there to lightly tap you on the shoulder and remind you that although this is the kid's fave song, I don't need you to hand the phone over to them so I can hear it unless I am asking.

An instructional video about what is appropriate to others without children is also needed.  Telling me your horror stories so I rethink trying?  Rude.  Telling me how much I will like it when I am STILL trying.  Also kinda rude.  I don't think parents think about what comes out of their mouths, there are 2 reasons for this theory.  You are so caught up in the child's life that you forget other people are not.  and/or  You are so starved for adult conversation that everything you have thought since the last time you had one just sort of tumbles out when you open your mouth.  Neither one is bad and parents that do this should never feel ashamed or anything, I just think some reference material would help the rest of us out.  Thanks.

2 comments: