A little background info....

I have been dealing with medical issues regarding my reproduction capability for the last three and a half years after a very bad miscarriage situation. As I was working through a difficult period one day I realized that more and more people and characters around me seem to be dealing with similar circumstances. TV shows, movies, neighbors and friends are struggling because they cannot or may not have children. This is a place to express my feelings about my situation and hopefully help someone else express theirs.

I may not know what other mothers know, but I am a mother without my child and I do what I can to cope.

Monday, January 17, 2011

Working Mothers

I still haven't slept well and I still haven't started my list, looks like I'll be working on it the next couple of days.

I saw an article today on corporette.com that was about working women and their families, I was equally offended and intrigued by an article talking about working mothers.  There is a comment about how women self sabotage their careers because they are 'baby minded'  instead of 'reality minded.'  Oookkkkkkkkkkk, so we're all wrecking our futures because we're so crazy to have children?  Hmm.... I can't say I agree.  It does in the same article however, ask professional mothers to give professional women without children advice about what to plan for, what not to plan for and what benefits and working essentials are key.  There were some really great comments.

But aside from this strange article, I started to wonder how I would juggle a child and full time work if that ever happened for me.  I work in an office with only about 6 employees and while everyone else has showings, appointments and errands to run for work I am the sole office employee that stays at my desk from 9:30-5:30 every day.  Once in a while in a pinch I drive to the bank or make a personal errand twice a year but for the most part I am in the office taking care of things and getting my work done because it all is in the office, unlike some portions of other jobs.  So what would I do if my child had a sudden cold at school and I am the only one in the office?  Close the office?  Make my child wait?  Those are things I've never really thought of.  Everyone else has a legitimate reason not to be in the office full time and many work out of other spaces as well so its not as easy as asking someone to come in or change their schedule.  They have kids and appointments just like I might.  I am part owner of our business so although it is possible, it is more difficult to find something else if things did not work out with my schedule.  And I don't think I would want to leave, I love working with my family, I like my job and have relationships with all the owners and tenants we work with that would be hard to learn somewhere else and would be hard to replace here.

I always thought my mom had a great idea, she worked from home as a seamstress running her own business.  She was always at home when we came home from school, she was available if we needed her or got sick, she could work late if she needed to without problem because she could stop for dinner then continue and she had the ability to say its slow today I'm gonna watch a movie with my kids.  I don't foresee that option in my future at this job though.  So a little planning would be in order if I ever found a way to have my own child.  Just one more bittersweet part of my extensive journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment