A little background info....

I have been dealing with medical issues regarding my reproduction capability for the last three and a half years after a very bad miscarriage situation. As I was working through a difficult period one day I realized that more and more people and characters around me seem to be dealing with similar circumstances. TV shows, movies, neighbors and friends are struggling because they cannot or may not have children. This is a place to express my feelings about my situation and hopefully help someone else express theirs.

I may not know what other mothers know, but I am a mother without my child and I do what I can to cope.

Friday, April 29, 2011

Character Review: Cauliflower

Nope, I'm not kidding.  Cauliflower cannot have children.  (not the traditional way at least)  Cauliflower is a hybrid and a genetic mutation from Broccoli and Cabbage.  I learned on Good Eats (in love with Alton Brown) that the buds on the heads of Cauliflower are actually called 'aborted seedlings'.  The vegetable has a chemical imbalance that aborts its seeds and keeps it from flowering.  It does carry a different kind of seed deep in the center of the stem that lets it spread but there are no traditional seeds and it will never bloom.  So Cauliflower, no wonder we like each other so much, we are in the same boat.

2 comments:

  1. Ha. I didn't know that about cauliflower. Alton Brown is fun. I used to not like him, but he has grown on me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never knew that either, I had to rewind the show a couple of times to make sure I heard him right. He's a little goofy sometimes and seems to make things more involved than they need to be but I really like his show and the recipes from it.

    ReplyDelete