A little background info....

I have been dealing with medical issues regarding my reproduction capability for the last three and a half years after a very bad miscarriage situation. As I was working through a difficult period one day I realized that more and more people and characters around me seem to be dealing with similar circumstances. TV shows, movies, neighbors and friends are struggling because they cannot or may not have children. This is a place to express my feelings about my situation and hopefully help someone else express theirs.

I may not know what other mothers know, but I am a mother without my child and I do what I can to cope.

Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Finally an ending

So I'm sure by now that many of you who read often are confused by the many posts that vaguely talk about privacy and ask odd questions. Between busy work, ice storms, no computer at home and overall craziness I never did get to tie up the thread I started on about sickness vs privacy.

The very basic story is this.... I work with my family. Recently my boss/grandmother called both my mom (who I do not work with so I don't know why she was involved) and my aunt to ask them what I have been eating lately because she's sure it’s nothing but junk food. I got upset when my mom told me that and I asked my aunt if she was asking questions about my diet. The short answer is yes but it semi came up in a conversation. I guess my aunt told her because she sent an e mail about how she's sorry if I'm mad but she's just worried about me.

I get her worry but my basic stand point is this.

Its none of your business what I eat. Ever.

If you really think there is a problem or reason for concern then talk to me about it instead of people who have nothing to do with my eating habits.

Even if you ask what I'm eating I don't have to tell you.


That really got me thinking about my privacy and where it ends in relation to friends, family, coworkers, and my health. I am a big girl and I like food. That's true but what I eat is my business only. What I eat may affect my health. That's true but what I eat is my business only. As long as I am not missing work or offending my coworkers they should not care. As long as I am not tanking my health and ignoring my doctors then my family should not care.


I have a lot of health problems though and I get my overprotective gene from my gma so I can def see her concern.

But, does the status of my health void my privacy?

I don't think so.

Lots of people say that privacy goes when you get older and need more help or get sick and there are more questions. But is that necessary? Do you need to ask 20 personal questions to know if I am doing better or worse? If I am taking care of myself? If I am doing something wrong?

I would like to also say that is offends me that she focuses on my eating habits like my problems are in some way my fault or fixable. Even if that is not where she is coming from that is where I go.


In the end she is just worried and curious and I love her for that. I tried to let her know that there are boundaries when it comes to my privacy but I have a feeling we will be here again in a few months.

-for the record I am not an unhealthy eater either



I would really like an idea of how other people feel.

Do you feel like you gave up your privacy because of sickness (past or present)?

Do you feel like it is someone's right to ask about your health if they are a close friend or family member?

Do you expect total disclosure from a sick person in your life?

Do you think privacy is deserved whether health is an issue or not?


I would also like some votes on my polls, I still cannot decide about my court case and I would like an impartial opinion.

No comments:

Post a Comment