A little background info....

I have been dealing with medical issues regarding my reproduction capability for the last three and a half years after a very bad miscarriage situation. As I was working through a difficult period one day I realized that more and more people and characters around me seem to be dealing with similar circumstances. TV shows, movies, neighbors and friends are struggling because they cannot or may not have children. This is a place to express my feelings about my situation and hopefully help someone else express theirs.

I may not know what other mothers know, but I am a mother without my child and I do what I can to cope.

Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Two birds with one stone

I have a huge list of things to get done lately and I constantly find myself putting them off for the long list of new things that come up or the even longer list of new things I think up for myself.  I am going to take a second and do something that two different ladies urged me to do recently, brag a little.  Now, that is not exactly how they put it, they're eloquent, but that is what I am going to do.

HOLY CRAP!!!  My husband just electrocuted himself with the washer.  Seriously, his whole arm is tingling and he keeps babbling about how he's bad at electricity.  I'm not sure what to do with him.....

Sorry about that.  Well, back to the topic.  I was talking to my therapist in my last visit about how I am having a hard time getting past my miscarriage because I feel like it made me question myself about a lot of things I had never questioned before.  I feel like I am not the person I was always sure that I was.  I have always considered myself very strong and in control of most things in my life and this has just left me feeling so broken and unsure.  Its an odd feeling for me.  I have been sure of myself and my convictions for as long as I remember.  I cannot remember a time when I did not know who I was.  Not being sure of that now has left me feeling very raw and scared.  I would like to note however, that feeling sure and strong does not mean I was not open,  I think it is important to be open to all options and change your mind sometimes.  When I was talking to her she asked me what confidence was made of and what I thought a strong person meant.  She also reminded me that I was not hiding from my feelings or refusing to acknowledge my issues but wading through them and looking for a way out instead of settling.  I was being strong in a different way.  Instead of being a stable rock for myself and others I was something more fluid and malleable that moved through and around the fears and issues.  -btw I just love her she is awesome
My homework from that session was to think of what makes me a strong person and what I like about myself.  I am supposed to make a list of the things about myself that make me happy.

Shortly after that I read a post from Miss Mandy Hornbuckle that was similar.  -she is also pretty awesome
Apparently, someone asked her 'What do you think you're really, really good at? Like, probably better than anybody you know at?' and she was unsure of what to say at first.  But she made a wonderful blog post about the things in her life she is good at doing and I enjoyed reading it very much.  She also challenged people at the end to brag about themselves a little bit and tell what they are good at.  I think I will take her up on that offer and combine that with my list for my therapist. 

This has turned into kind of a long post when it was meant to be an intro to that list so I think I will complete it for tomorrow.  SOOO...... Folks, look for my list of things I am good at tomorrow.  I urge you to make your own and I urge you share it with others.  We should never be scared to point out our strong points as well as our flaws.  A person who does either too often is leading an unfortunate life most likely.

2 comments:

  1. 1) UH, is your husband okay?!?

    2) I'm glad you took me up on that. Do you know that you're the only one who did, that I know of? It's crazy how we don't really do that. I mean, we shouldn't all the time but it's a good exercise for us, I think.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yea he's alright, unfortunately he does this kind of thing a lot and its pretty easy to tell the bad shocks from the small ones. He just needs to be careful.

    I'm surprised no one else did that, sort of makes me sad. People are too caught up in their flaws and pointing out what is wrong and not looking at the positive things. I think your list was great and was excited to do my own. Go us.

    ReplyDelete