A little background info....

I have been dealing with medical issues regarding my reproduction capability for the last three and a half years after a very bad miscarriage situation. As I was working through a difficult period one day I realized that more and more people and characters around me seem to be dealing with similar circumstances. TV shows, movies, neighbors and friends are struggling because they cannot or may not have children. This is a place to express my feelings about my situation and hopefully help someone else express theirs.

I may not know what other mothers know, but I am a mother without my child and I do what I can to cope.

Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Effects of infertility

I came across this article a little while ago and wanted to share it.  While I do not necessarily agree with what some of the experts are saying, I think that its a great way to see that people are highlighting the effects of infertility and just how deep they go.  One expert in particular seems to be using this study to get more funding for IVF, I really feel like if any funding is added it should go towards mental care of the people involved.  Having a baby is a lifestyle choice and the debate about whether money should be set aside from the government to give infertile women the option to conceive is not mine to argue; but the aftershocks of losing a child or having a miscarriage is not a lifestyle choice.  People should at the very least have access to someone or something that can help repair the damage that causes.

As someone who has dealt with alcoholism in my family and mental disorders in myself and other family members I am always glad to see these things in the spotlight of information.  Too often the notions of being 'a drunk' or 'crazy' outweigh the actual facts.  It is difficult to deal with either of these things and I can absolutely see how the internal stress of infertility can cause disorders or drinking.  By no means does every woman turn to alcohol or develop a mental disorder, but this shows that many of them have the potential if they are not helped.  It is difficult to put yourself in that circumstance if you have never been there, so there is little research or information regarding the mental state of an infertile woman.  I like that someone is cataloging some of the results and again just getting the info out there into the world.  The more information there is, the easier it can be to talk about it or know where to turn.  Not everyone knows that those feelings are natural and talking to a counselor or psychiatrist may be the best answer.  Some don't even know or admit to the thoughts and feelings these ladies have talked about and in turn do not know that help is available.  It's there and it helps.  Look for it if you need it.

No comments:

Post a Comment