A little background info....

I have been dealing with medical issues regarding my reproduction capability for the last three and a half years after a very bad miscarriage situation. As I was working through a difficult period one day I realized that more and more people and characters around me seem to be dealing with similar circumstances. TV shows, movies, neighbors and friends are struggling because they cannot or may not have children. This is a place to express my feelings about my situation and hopefully help someone else express theirs.

I may not know what other mothers know, but I am a mother without my child and I do what I can to cope.

Thursday, September 22, 2011

Family Vacation

I am coming to the end of a family vacation to the beach at Port Aransas, TX.  We have spent the last 4 nights laughing, talking and hanging out together.  We used to come to this beach as kids with my parents and grandparents and TB and I have been coming the last few years with friends because we like it so much.  This time we came to celebrate my dad's 50th birthday and enjoy time together.  My grandparents came with and all of us 3 kids had a significant other to bring.  Its really fun and sorta weird.  We used to play in the sand and build castles and run in the waves as little kids and instead this year my brother proposed on the beach with the whole family watching.  It was really wonderful.

I haven't lived at my parents' house for 5 years now.  I don't get this big family interaction every day like my brothers do that still live with them.  Being surrounded by all these people and having such a nice time makes me feel full.  I feel like my life is/will be fine without children.  I also can see towards the future when we come back with a brood of my nieces and nephews to show them the beach.  My family is weird/difficult/complicated and so much fun I can barely stand it sometimes.  We are truly a circus sometimes.  But they are my family and I love them with everything I have.  Watching my brothers lovingly dote on their girlfriends, seeing my parents hold hands and listening to stories of when my grandparents were newly married makes me know that these people are my home.  They are my heart.

I know that TB and I may not get to do this with our kids in the future but I know that we will be included when my brothers do it with theirs.  We will have little ones to run around in our lives whether they are ours or not.

Days like these make it easy to think I will never have a traditional family life because I ALREADY have an awesome one.  Kids or no kids, life can be good.  Just like right now.  As everyone starts to wake up and pack to go home because they have other obligations, we get to pack and move to another condo because our friend KA is driving down today and we get a few more days at the beach with friends.  I could not do that if I had kids in tow.  I am grateful for the things in life that show me that it will be ok.

2 comments:

  1. "Days like these make it easy to think I will never have a traditional family life because I ALREADY have an awesome one. Kids or no kids, life can be good. Just like right now." I love that feeling. I am flying to see my friend Ellyn in Indiana because I don't have kids. Jack and I have date nights because we don't have kids. I can work late whenever I want without feeling guilty because I don't have kids. Remembering the blessings and the freedom makes it easier to wait.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I def agree. I can do so many things because I only have me and my husband to think about. We can do all the things we want because no one else depends on us. That is certainly the up side to living childless =)

    ReplyDelete